Monday, April 18, 2016

Universal SSMS

I am reading Aaron Bertrand's interview with Ken Van Hyning, Engineering Manager for SQL Server Client Tools at Microsoft.   Ken's Twitter

It is really good to know that there is a passionate tool guy who is heading the team to improve the SSMS tool.  

My favorite Question and Answer:
What has been the funniest thing that has happened so far in this project?
This question is a bit tougher for me… I’m not sure if they are funny or not but it makes me laugh. :-)
As we have been rebuilding the SQL Client Tools team over the last several months, we have a lot of new engineers. Many of which have been at MS for only a few years now. Being in SQL everyone knows of SSMS of course, but it’s been great time after time showing folks how many things are there. They have no idea how vast it is. UCP is kind of a running joke as one of the most unknown, unused, but massive features hiding within SSMS. I show folks how registered servers works, what CMS is and they get all wide-eyed. The fact that we have things like Point-in-time restore all the way to an AG dashboard. And oh my, the first time I explained what PBM was and the server-side enforcement through SQL Agent. Even I keep finding things that folks have added over the years that I didn’t know were in SSMS now. Sometimes we feel like we are on an archeological expedition and we keep finding troves of SQL Server manageability treasures.


In the meantime, I'll keep sending out the gems I have found and keep finding...

Here is another good read from Aaron What do the Changes in SSMS Mean to You